This crossword puzzle contains figurative language from OF MICE AND MEN. Every clue is an example of simile, metaphor, hyperbole, or personification from the story. A key word in each clue is left out, so students must use their knowledge of the story and their critical thinking skills to fill in the blank. The type of figurative language is provided in parentheses at the end of the clue.
Here's an example: The _____ of heavy-laden axles sounded from outside. (onomatopoeia) Answer: CROAK.
Challenges students' imaginations, too!
Don’t miss my other unique products over OF MICE AND MEN listed below. Many are perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them all in my store!
• OF MICE AND MEN: Icebreaker activity—Unique opener for book unit! Focuses on the stereotypes people with developmental disabilities, such as Lennie Small, face. By the time the activity is over, students learn that they have at least one thing in common with Lennie. The only thing the teacher needs is a yard of fabric or skein of yarn.
• Bookmarks Plus: OF MICE AND MEN edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and much more!
• OF MICE AND MEN: Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 204 questions!
• OF MICE AND MEN: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Of Mice and Men edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Of Mice and Men Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! Makes a great extra credit or homework assignment.
• OF MICE AND MEN: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• OF MICE AND MEN: 10 Cryptogram Puzzles—Encoded Quotations from the Novel! Students decode 10 thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• OF MICE AND MEN: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from Of Mice and Men. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• OF MICE AND MEN: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrase. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• OF MICE AND MEN: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers that relate to the theme of the book!
• OF MICE AND MEN:2 Reading-for Detail Crosswords—Based on the Book! Great objective test reviews!
• OF MICE AND MEN:4 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial & Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid based on the number of letters in the word. These puzzles can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• OF MICE AND MEN: 5 Novel-Based Word Searches Four categories: Slim; Names from the Novel; Curley’s Wife; The Bunkhouse; The 1930s
• OF MICE AND MEN: 8 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Encoded Lists Students must decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Novel Names; Animals; George; Lennie; Locations; Ranch Life; Crooks; Occupations
• OF MICE AND MEN: Challenging Words Crossword Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• OF MICE AND MEN: Figurative Language Crossword—Fun! Students use their knowledge of the story, their familiarity with the language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similies, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to teach figurative language!
• OF MICE AND MEN: Slang, Idioms, and Dialect Crossword Students provide synonyms for examples of slang, idioms, and dialect used in the story.
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!