This 13-page packet contains introductory materials and guided reading questions that can be used to teach a comprehensive and engaging unit on Of Mice and Men with any grade level! It contains a variety of activities that will help students understand the context of the novella, as well as a thorough set of guided reading questions to promote comprehension and the use of higher-order thinking skills.
The 35-slide PowerPoint that accompanies the packet is dynamic and visually engaging. It is fully aligned to the packet, and will help your students follow along as you work through the text.
The download includes an answer key to all materials found in the packet. It also contains a PDF version of the packet to ensure compatibility among devices, as well as an editable Word Doc so that you can make alterations to best meet your students' needs!
The guided reading packet contains the following:
- An overview of the text (spoiler free!).
- Biographical information about Steinbeck.
- Pre-reading discussion questions.
- A list of vocabulary words for the students to define.
- A 13-question WebQuest that requires students to use technology to investigate background and contextual information relating to Of Mice and Men. This information is then used and applied to various aspects of the text throughout the guided reading questions.
- An activity for reading, understanding, and analyzing Robert Burns's "To a Mouse."
- Guided reading questions that are broken down into sections. The questions require student to comprehend the story, examine characters, make inferences, draw conclusions, and analyze the text by applying critical thinking skills.
- A theme analysis worksheet to be completed after reading the text. This will help students identify topics explored in the text, and then think critically about what thematic commentary Steinbeck is developing in relation to these topics.
Links to more of my products can be found below!
Of Mice and Men Full Unit Bundle
Of Mice and Men Guided Reading Packet
Of Mice and Men Final Objective Test
Of Mice and Men Thinking Hats Activity
Macbeth Full Unit Bundle (for No Fear Shakespeare)
The Great Gatsby Full Unit Bundle
Fahrenheit 451 Full Unit Bundle
Romeo and Juliet Full Unit Bundle
Othello Full Unit Bundle
Call of the Wild Guided Reading Packet
The Crucible Quiz Bundle
Beowulf Guided Reading Packet and Quiz Bundle