A highly detailed and challenging unit focused upon John Steinbeck's fantastic novella 'Of Mice and Men'! This unit is suitable for ages 14 and over, and has consistently produced excellent exam and essay results for my classes over the years, including many A*s, the highest grade in the UK. The unit focuses upon analysis of multiple key extracts exploring characters, themes and writing techniques, with students encouraged to make structural links across the whole novella, as well as links with contexts. Practice essays are regularly integrated to assess students' progress, though these could also be used as formal essay assessments. Students are supported throughout these with sentence starters to help them structure their responses.
This detailed and high quality unit includes:
* 24 lesson plans (with 16 differentiation strategies)
* 107 slide PowerPoint presentation
* All resources (including blank extracts)
* Context video clips
* Homework project
Unit's lessons include:
* Match up activity on the text's contexts (plus excellent video clip)
* Dedicated reading and discussion lessons
* Huge 60-question revision quiz (with picture round)
* Exploration of light and darkness imagery
* Analysing settings - the brush, the bunkhouse, Crooks' room
* Exploration of how the bunkhouse if used as a microcosm and hows the objects inside are symbolic
* Ranch hierarchy - power vs. respect
* Analysing characters - Crooks, Curley's wife, Curley
* Analysing sample responses (focused on Slim)
* Analysing themes - dreams, loneliness, racism
* Analysing atmosphere and tension
* Completing four essays - character, theme, setting, tension (with students able to choose question to answer)
* Teacher/peer/self assessment opportunities
Thank you for taking an interest in my product! If you do decide to proceed to purchase, I'd really appreciate your rating and feedback. This will help me to adapt future products and edit existing ones so that they can really be the best they can be.
If you enjoy this product, please do check out my others and click 'Follow' to be the first to hear about new products, sales and promotions!