This is a great set of activities to complement the story Off To Kindergarten by Tony Johnson. Bill starts to collect all the things he thinks he will need for kindergarten. He plans to take a pillow, his sandbox, cookies, and even some mud-among other things! Fortunately, his mother lets him know that his teacher will have everything he will need. This book has great illustrations for a read-aloud, along with a delightful rhyming text. (You will need to provide your own copy of the book.)
These projects are especially useful during those first days of school when you are working to establish procedures and routines.
Here are some of the special features of this unit:
• The activities are appropriate for children who are not yet reading.
• Easy Prep-You need provide only the book and a strip of paper for the story retelling headband.
• You can do these activities over several days or even do all of them on the first day of school-they are that easy to implement!
The 6 activities in this unit are:
• Build-A-Word Book with the focus word “he”
• Foldable Booklet
• Category Sort
• Pictures that start like “Bill”
• Story Shapes
• Story Retelling Headband
Check out my category listing "Back to School" to find other great literacy units for the start of the year!