The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway Whole Novel Activity Bundle Activity Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway. The novel is not written in chapters so I have broken it into 7 parts. This bundle was designed to give the teacher choice. I don’t expect that you will be able to use everything. These include,
1) A Scavenger Hunt for Information for each part of the story
These is are 30-35 question active reading scavenger hunts where students actively hunt for information and analyze the text while they read the story. It also engages the students by enhancing enjoyment, and understanding. They focus on important events and twists in plot, vocabulary, and conflicts and also highlight important examples of figurative language found in the story. My scavenger hunts are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included. I have also provided Word and PDF versions of these activities.
2) A Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activity for each part of the story.
This is a Word Detective-Word Attack and close reading Vocabulary Activity. Your students act as vocabulary detectives and use their word attack skills to determine the meaning of each new word in context. First students read actual passages and dialogues from the story and use contextual clues to determine the meaning and part of speech of each new word. They must provide at least one synonym for each new word. Then they use a thesaurus or dictionary to check their comprehension and find more synonyms for each word. . Answer sheets as well as PDF and Word versions are included.
3) The Old Man and the Sea Crossword Puzzles for each chapter of the story
These are challenging crossword puzzles which focus on characters, events, figurative language, and vocabulary in this classic novel,
I have included both the crossword weaver and PDF versions of all puzzles as well as an answer puzzles. It is very comprehensive and a great assessment activity. I have also included the crossword clues to make it easier to edit and recreate your own puzzle.
4) The Old Man and the Sea Figurative Language Workshop,
Worksheet, and Quiz for each part of the story.
This includes a figurative language workshop which teaches your students the concepts of figurative language such as simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, oxymoron, and synecdoche. It has over 110 examples of figurative language and can be used as a quiz and worksheet with an answer sheet included
5) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer/story map: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students identify and chart the literary elements in the story as they read.
6) A step by step lesson plan aligned to the US Common Core Standards
7) A Power Point Presentation with many ideas for follow-up projects. This is a power point presentation which presents power point, role-play, research, diorama, and many other project ideas for the novel.
I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle for this story anywhere on the Web.
You can also access my store at