Old Man at A Bridge by Ernest Hemingway Activity Bundle
Cooperative Learning and Finding Evidence from the Text
This is a very comprehensive bundle with 25 pages of instructional resources and activities related to the short story Old Man at A Bridge by Ernest Hemingway. This lesson focuses on cooperative learning and is aligned to United States Common Core Curriculum Standards. I think your students will enjoy this bundle which includes.
1) A comprehensive, “Old Man at a Bridge Lesson Plan,” aligned to Common Core Standards:
Students first read the story individually and then are divided into groups of 3 member, “Literary Circles.” In “Literary Circles,” small groups of students gather together to discuss a piece of literature in depth. Groups will first try to answer questions together by memory. Then they will work cooperatively and competitively scan the story for any information that they do not have.
2) A scavenger hunt for information: This is 25 question active reading scavenger hunt where students actively hunt for information in the story and analyze it in depth. This scavenger hunt contains pre-reading, reading, and post reading questions that the students will answer in, “Literary Circles.” The post reading questions are related to historical events and facts related to the Spanish Civil War and the life of Ernest Hemingway.
3) A comprehensive crossword puzzle related to characters, events, and vocabulary in the story. It also has clues related to the Spanish Civil War and the life of Ernest Hemingway
4) Post reading follow-up activities which include
• Old Man at A Bridge Story map
• Old Man at A Bridge Wanted Poster Activity (Poster and writing activity)
• Post-reading project and research ideas
• An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer: An active reading graphic organizers to help your students identify and chart the literary elements in the novel as they read.
5) Old Man at A Bridge Part 2: There is a Writing The Sequel to the story Graphic Organizer with a workshop of tips to make better, more exciting narratives.
Again I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web. There are over 25 pages of activities.
You can also access my store at