NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book. Also, because the answers to most of the clues consist of one word, students will benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from OLD YELLER. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence in which it appears in the book. Students must decide provide either a synonym or an antonym for the challenging word.
Examples of clues:
* One part meant that his short hair was a DINGY yellow, a color that we called “yeller” in those days. (ant.) ANSWER: bright
* Also, the CARCASS lay too close to the spring. (___ body; ant.) ANSWER: live
* They met head on, with a loud crash of horns and a JAR so solid that it seemed like I could feel it clear up there on the fence. (syn.) ANSWER: hit
* A big diamond-back rattler struck at Papa and Papa chopped his head off with one quick lick of his SCYTHE. (A ___ tool; syn.) ANSWER: cutting
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the OLD YELLER edition of Bookmarks Plus. Please see the list of products below.
Also, the same 25 words are part of my OLD YELLER 50-word Prereading Crossword, which familiarizes students with new words before they read the book. Please see the list of products below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over OLD YELLER—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* BOOKMARKS PLUS: OLD YELLER edition—A Very Handy Little Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* OLD YELLER: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Familiarize students with new words before they read the book!
Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Old Yeller edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Old Yeller Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* OLD YELLER: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Puzzle—Use with Bookmarks Plus!
Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!