Oliver Poons and the Bright Yellow Hat by Lauryn Alyssa Wendus, illustrated by Lois Wendus, is a happy, whimsical, rhyming story that makes a perfect addition to any classroom library. This is the first book in the series, The Adventures of Oliver Poons. Visit oliverpoons.com for more information.
See our store to Bundle + SAVE with our Worksheets and Activities guide aligned with the Pre-K through Grade 2 Language Arts Common Core.
Top 6 Reasons Oliver Poons is Perfect for the Classroom:
1. Rhyme. Beginning reading skills emphasize children being able to determine whether or not words rhyme.
2. Develop Phonemic Awareness. A phoneme is the smallest unit of speech that makes the word different from another. The phonemes /f/ and /s/ are different. This creates a difference in the meaning of “fat” and “sat”. Oliver Poons’ repetitive language with similar, rhyming words helps children differentiate meaning and enhance their beginning reading skills.
3. Bright and Colorful. Oliver Poons helps children learn about colors. Colors are emphasized in character names, and Book 2, Dreaming in Color, has even more emphasize on color recognition. The bright colors of the book’s illustrations convey a happy mood and help young children identify each of the characters.
4. Bold Characters. The large size of the character illustrations makes them memorable and will help young children form easy visualizations of the illustrations. Early visualization skills are important for young readers since visualizing a storyline becomes an important reading comprehension strategy as readers develop.
5. Simple Storyline. Being able to understand and retell a story is an essential part of reading. The plot is age appropriate for young children. They can predict what they think will happen next throughout the book, and there are clues in the story to help them make an informed guess. Young children will understand what the problem is in the story and how it is resolved.
6. Short and Sweet. The stories in the Oliver Poons series are intended to be short and sweet to hold young children’s attention span.
Hardcover, 24 pages, ISBN: 978-0-9909857-6-1