Olympics History Class Play
This Class Play, written by Sue Russell, covers the history of the Olympics, starting with its origins in Ancient Greece. All the host nations are presented in a fun coverage of both events and stars.
This class play uses the 18 countries that have so far hosted the Olympic Games, plus Brazil (2016 host) each giving a brief summary of their 'contribution' to the Games' history so far. The last host was of course Great Britain - the script now fully updated.Duration: around 15 minutes reading time - but this doesn't allow for music suggestions - beginning and end and optional use of national anthems in between. Could take performance to between 20 and 30 minutes. There's a lot of information in this script - so again, this could 'add on more time'.
1. Simply the Best - Tina Turner
(Children file in, waving flags triumphantly)
Coubertin: Good morning and welcome to our class play on The History of the Olympics - when nations compete against each other, in the most sporting manner.
(19 nations stand up with flags, cheering loudly)
(Zeus plus 3 Ancient Greeks stride onto stage, folding their arms in front of them, taking up an aggressive stance)
Coubertin: ‘Course, it wasn't always like that. Back in 776 BC it was only athletes from across Ancient Greece who competed.
Zeus: In my honor!
Sostratos: 5 days
Leonidas: 7 events
Kallipateira: (Scowling) And no women!
Coubertin: Ah! The good old days! When men were men, and women were women!
Kallipateira: I thought you were here to represent the Modern Olympics?
Coubertin: Indeed I am. And you're about to see just how many changes took place over the years
Zeus: Not necessarily for the better! (Looking around) I can't see any of this lot paying me homage! And what are those women doing, mingling with the men athletes?
Coubertin: (In disgust) They're competing too!
The author, Sue Russell, has now completed updating scripts so the following list is a current representation of what files are available.
If you are a returning customer, having bought Olympic scripts before, the only 'new' script is the Brazil script - all the others have just been tweeked/updated with e.g. new dates, new sports etc, so the content has remained the same.
When choosing an Olympic script it is suggested that you use No. 1 Brazil Assembly as a starting point, with option of adding fully comprehensive history/list of sporting events on, either as separate script purchases (No. 2 and No. 5) or as combined script (No. 6).
Olympic Scripts Currently Available
1. Brazil - Host Country to 2016 Olympics
2. History of the Olympics - Ancient to present day
3. Olympics PRIDE Assembly (PSHE 'team spirit' script)
4. Olympic Games 2016 Leavers Assembly
5. Rio 2016 Olympic Games Assembly - covering all 28 sports
6. Rio 2016 Olympic Games Assembly: history and events - combined script including Olympic Ode
7. Olympics Assembly for Key Stage 1 Rio 2016
8. Paralympics 2016 Assembly
GUIDED READING SCRIPTS
9. A Complete History of the Olympic Games Guided Reading Scripts plus quizzes - set of 8 scripts, plus quizzes. This is the original set of 6 from Ancient to 2004 plus two updates of 2008 and 2012.
10. 2008 Beijing Olympics Guided Reading - now included in purchase of (9)
11. 2012 London Olympics Guided Reading - now included in purchase of (9)
12. Olympics PRIDE Guided Reading
13. Rio 2016 Olympic Games Quiz - 100 questions and answers!
Olympic History Class Play by Sue Russell
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License