The process of canonizing saints can be confusing to adults and children alike. This interactive presentation provides a more simplified explanation and contains points to stop and assess understanding. At the end, I included a look at the lives of two Popes who were canonized on April 27th, 2014 (Blessed Pope John XXIII and Blessed Pope John II).
Interactive presentation includes the following information:
1. What are the saints?
2. Do you have to be perfect to become a saint?
3. Name some men, women and children who are saints.
4. What is the Litany of Saints?
5. What are patron saints?
6. What are martyrs?
7. How does someone become a saint?
8. Does the Pope "make" someone a saint?
9. The 5 Steps on the Road to Canonization
10.What happens during the canonization Mass?
11.Application of the Process: The canonization of two new saints (April 27, 2014)
Blessed Pope John XXIII and Blessed Pope John Paul II
12. Review Game (On the Road to Sainthood)- Can be played with small groups or as a class with two teams. (Answers included) Cut the question strips apart and fold back to back to create “card”
13. Graphic Organizer for a report on a favorite saint.
14. List of great saints for children to research with links to three great websites.
(NOTE: The information in this resource was reviewed by a priest for accuracy.)
Other resources for the Catholic classroom:
1. Catholic Kids: Guided Meditation for Adoration
2. The Corporal Works of Mercy
3. The Spiritual Works of Mercy
4. The Catholic Liturgical Season of Ordinary Time
5. Catholic Classroom Calendar Squares
6. Lent Stations of the Cross