Section by section answer key for the first writing module of the On the Road course, introducing learning skills and language knowledge that students will develop further in the following modules.
The advantages / disadvantages essay is a basic academic writing genre both in IELTS and tertiary education. It fits well as a preparation for the Opinion essay in terms of organization, grammar and vocabulary.
The main aim is that students will be able to write a basic four-paragraph advantages & disadvantages essay, using well-crafted texts to guide their learning, while developing the skills to tackle a variety of topics. There is a focus on:
• Introducing organizational features, grammar, vocabulary and general
approach that will be recycled in Opinion essay.
• A full understanding of all features of the texts
• Correct use of basic cohesive devices
• Correct use of basic punctuation (commas, capital letters, full stops)
• Correct use and spelling of key vocabulary, including connectives
• Consolidating grammar work to produce correct simple sentences
• Bringing an academic style of argument to relevant topics
Students will study and learn grammar in a writing context with the main aim of productive use.