A short writing course, supporting and scaffolding learning to help students confidently write an Advantages/Disadvantages essay, introducing learning skills and language knowledge that students will develop further in the following modules.
The advantages / disadvantages essay is a basic academic writing genre both in IELTS and tertiary education. It fits well as a preparation for the Opinion essay in terms of organization, grammar and vocabulary.
The main aim is that students will be able to write a basic four-paragraph advantages & disadvantages essay, using well-crafted texts to guide their learning, while developing the skills to tackle a variety of topics. There is a focus on:
• Introducing organizational features, grammar, vocabulary and general
approach that will be recycled in Opinion essay.
• A full understanding of all features of the texts
• Correct use of basic cohesive devices
• Correct use of basic punctuation (commas, capital letters, full stops)
• Correct use and spelling of key vocabulary, including connectives
• Consolidating grammar work to produce correct simple sentences
• Bringing an academic style of argument to relevant topics
Students will study and learn grammar in a writing context with the main aim of productive use.