This history of Hip Hop music song is written as a compare and contrast passage that explores how two founding fathers and a mother of Hip Hop contributed to the urban art, and how it developed into a unified sound. If your students enjoy rap or hip-hop music, they will love this reading lesson.
Students will listen to the song, read the lyrics, and find similarities and differences between two pioneers of Hip Hop. The other reading activities include multiple-choice comprehension questions, a timeline activity, multiple-choice context clues questions about Hip Hop terminology and content vocabulary. More activities are listed below.
This resource includes:
- the song lyrics
- 12 multiple-choice reading comprehension questions with the answer key
- a compare and contrast, graphic organizer writing activity
- 10 compare and contrast multiple-choice questions with the answer key
- a compare and contrast text structure, paragraph writing activity with transitional words for student use
- 7 multiple-choice context clues questions about Hip Hop terminology and content vocabulary with the answer key
- a timeline activity with a graphic organizer
- a sequential paragraph activity that utilizes the timeline with a word bank of transitional words
How to use this resource:
- Students will preview the comprehension questions on pages 1 and 2 then listen to the song while following along with the lyrics on pages 3 and 4.
- Next, students will answer the comprehension questions on pages 1 and 2.
- Students will then complete the remaining activities that are outlined above.
- The answer keys are located on pages 13 - 18.
You may also like:
*Leave a review if you liked our product.*
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
*Music credit: Dj TeeTee-Hip Hop instrumental (Scratch Hook) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ou14XRdFUw&t=0s&index=29&list=PL9N2x6W3DbwS3RkkFETyIKRjHjAHUl6F6
*Photo By Bigtimepeace [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Herc_on_the_Wheels_of_Steel.JPG
*Photo By Mika-photography [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], from Wikimedia Commons