Why Once Upon a STEM?
Creating a really great STEM resource doesn't happen overnight. I learned, over the past year, that it takes what seems like endless days of hard work and determination to provide a great STEM resource for primary teachers.
As the STEM club coordinator, I always struggled with getting my kids excited about the challenges they did each week. Not only did I notice I had a hard time getting my students excited, I noticed a huge lack of resources for them.
Of course my teacher manual was HUNDREDS of pages. Inadequate resources that left me looking for more activities for my kids to do. I needed more. I needed books, extension activities, and guiding questions that didn't seem like a scavenger hunt to find. I needed parent connection ideas and suggested websites for my students to visit at home. And so, Once Upon a STEM was born.
We are confident you are going to love this resource.
All the paperwork (journals, vocabulary, materials needed) is ready for you!
Story Challenges Included in Volume 2:
11. Making a Shadow Drawing
12. Building a Solar Oven
13. Making a Bucket Tower
14. Making a Ferris Wheel
15. Making a Guitar
16. Making a Windpipe
17. Making a Balloon Rocket Car
18. Build a Tent
19. Making a Windmill
20. Build a Playground
We want STEM instruction to be easy for you to implement, so our series includes:
Frequently Asked Questions:
• What grade level is this for?
Ideally, this is for 1st and 2nd Grade.
• How long does each lesson take?
Most teachers do take 2-3 days with 15-20 minutes to explore each lesson. This could be condensed into a 60 minute lesson taught in one day. To get more time, you could choose the suggested read-alouds to read during your reading block. You could also incorporate some of the journal writing into your writing block. It's up to you how much time you spend on this, but I would say you could do this in 60 minutes.
• Could these challenges be used for upper grades?
If your students just learning STEM, these projects would still be a good start for them! Of course the corresponding books would be below their level, but you could read the other books that we have provided as intros.
• What materials do I need?
We have included a materials list for each of the challenges all in one spot. You can access this list here: http://bit.ly/StemV2Materials
Thank you for your purchase! By purchasing this resource, you are agreeing that the contents are the property of Emily Garcia/Education to the Core, and licensed to you only for classroom/personal use as a single user. I retain the copyright, and reserve all rights to this product.
• Use items (free and purchased) for your own classroom students, or your own personal use.
• Reference this product in blog posts, at seminars, professional development workshops, or other such venues PROVIDED there is both credit given to myself as the author and a link back to my TPT store is included in your post/presentation.
• Distribute and make copies of free items only to other teachers PROVIDED there is credit given to Emily Liscom Garcia and a link back to my TPT store.
You May Not:
• Claim this work as your own, alter the files in any way, or remove/attempt to remove the copyright/watermarks.
• Sell the files or combine them into another unit for sale/free.
• Post this document for sale/free elsewhere on the internet. (This includes Google Doc links on blogs.)
• Obtain this product through any of the channels listed above. Thank you for abiding by universally accepted codes of professional ethics while using this product.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.
If you have any questions about this resource, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org