One Came Home by Amy Timberlake is a Newberry Honor Book for 2014. This historical mystery follows the main character's search for the truth about her dead sister. Georgie Burkhardt is a thirteen year old girl in Placid, Wisconsin in the year 1871. Georgie is stubborn, smart, and fiercely loyal. The story is set during the greatest wild pigeon migration on record. A dead body, criminals, and danger make this appealing to boys and girls alike. It is a must-read!
This novel study includes critical analysis of text. Writing is embedded throughout. My goal is to always help students analyze literature and find deeper meanings.
The study includes:
1. Prereading Thinking Questions
2. Comprehension and Critical Thinking Questions
3. Analysis of Significant Text
4. Vocabulary Connections Activity
5. Vocabulary Definitions
6. Vocabulary Tests
7. Analysis of the Use of Allusions
8. Analysis of Symbolism
9. How Does an Author Choose a Title?
10. Writing Connections for Selected Chapters
11. Analysis of Figurative Language
12. Analyzing Theme
13. Chapter Quizzes
14. Research Connections with Culled Websites
15. Answer Keys
(92 total pages)
One Came Home Novel Study
by Dianne Watson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License