Print one copy of the One Change word list. Make sure every student has a marker and whiteboard. That’s it!
Basic Teacher Directions:
1. Read each word aloud. Allow time for students to make one change.
2. Check student boards for accuracy.
3. Read the next word.
Basic Student Directions:
1. Draw three lines on your board. These will be for the beginning, middle and end of the word.
2. Write the first word on the lines.
3. When the teacher reads the next word, make only one change to spell the new word. You can change the beginning, middle, or end of the word, but you can only make one change.
About One Change:
One Change is a simple whiteboard spelling game for almost any phonics or spelling pattern.
It’s a teacher favorite because it teaches spelling patterns, not just spelling words. It works well with the whole class or in small groups. Plus, it takes almost no preparation!
It’s a student favorite because it shows students that once they use a spelling pattern to spell one word, they can use it spell many other words. Plus, it’s fun!
Once students understand the directions, it is easy to play this game with new words. With that in mind, I’ve posted different versions of the game for different spelling patterns on TeachersPayTeachers.
Included you will find:
-Basic game instructions
-Detailed instructions for first time play
-Two word lists
-One quick check
If you liked this game:
There are also One Change games for many other spelling patterns available on teacherspayteachers. Just search “One Change” plus the spelling pattern. Reviews are also greatly appreciated!