One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia is a great read aloud for fourth or fifth grade, or literature circle book for fifth, sixth, or seventh graders. Students will enjoy discussing the character development, the conflict between Delphine and her mother, and the setting of 1968 Oakland California. Finally, students will enjoy researching and discovering more about the Civil Rights Movement and African American history with projects based off of the history embedded in the narrative.
This literature guide includes:
• Vocabulary and language questions, comprehension and inference questions, and writing or research prompts for each reading section of one to two chapters based on the Common Core 6th grade standards,
• Nonfiction research projects incorporated into reader response journal prompts that encourage students to develop research skills, build background knowledge, and develop text-to-text connections (addresses RL 6.7, 6.8),
• Nine final assessment ideas for students to choose from. Each final assessment addresses the same common core standards (RL 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3),
• A Common Core rubric to use to assess student final assessments,
• A multiple choice vocabulary quiz to assess Common Core Standard RL 6.4.