Word problems are tricky! If you have students who are struggling with word problems, try an intervention to target the situations that are called out by Common Core!
In this RTI packet, you will find a comprehensive system to reteach the one-step multiplication and division situations for grades 3 and 4. The situations for each grade level are based on research from the Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) approach to mathematics. Common Core explicitly calls out the situations that students in each grade should have mastered.
Third graders should master the equal groups, array, and area situations. Fourth graders should master multiplicative comparison. In each of these situations, there are 4 variables (rate, grouping, price and measurement). Sometimes the bar to mastery of a situation is a specific variable, so this packet can help target that weakness, too.
This packet is ideal for 3rd and 4th graders, but it can also be used for struggling 5th graders. Third graders with gaps in one-step multiplication/division problems will benefit from intervention before moving on to two-step problems with all four operations! Similarly, 4th graders should have the equal groups/array/area situations mastered before moving on to multiplicative comparison. RTI will fill these gaps to help students be successful in math!
Included in the packet are:
- 7 assessments
- progress monitoring graph
- a flipbook to reteach all problem situations and variables
* Equal Groups/Product Unknown
* Equal Groups/Number of Groups Unknown
* Equal Groups/Group Size Unknown
* Arrays/Product Unknown
* Arrays/Number of Groups Unknown
* Arrays/Group Size Unknown
* Area/Product Unknown
* Area/Number of Groups Unknown
* Area/Group Size Unknown
* Comparison/Product Unknown
* Comparison/Group Size Unknown
* Comparison/Multiplier Unknown
- problem sets with mixed variables for each situation
- 5 problem sets with mixed situations and variables for each grade
Please see the preview file for more background information and samples. :)