Also included in
- Please see individual products for descriptions and previews.April 2020 UPDATE: In addition to the printable PDFs of the student blanks and answer keys, a Google Docs version of each student document now included for easier distance learning use.$15.99$26.91Save $10.92
National Geographic Presents One Strange Rock (Available on Netflix)
This series examines the interplay between earth science and biology. It's an essential for the NGSS course, The Living Earth. But it can work for other courses, too.
S1E01 Gasp. Astronaut Chris Hadfield reveals the unlikely and unexpectedly interconnected systems that allow life on our planet to breathe.
Shooting locations include Ethiopia, Brazil, Norway, Peru, Thailand, and the International Space Station. The people involved in the story speak in their native languages. Subtitles appear, but there are no voice-overs. The authenticity is powerful.
The camera work is stunning and includes sweeping vistas, detailed close-ups, and dynamic drone footage.
This set includes 34 questions that students can answer during a single, uninterrupted viewing of the episode.
One Strange Rock is hosted by Will Smith and astronauts Chris Hadfield, Nicole Stott, Jeffrey Hoffman, Mae Jemison, Leland Melvin, Mike Massimino, Jerry Linenger, and Peggy Whitson.
Lessons of Phyz advantages:
- A heavy font ensures high legibility even in dim lighting
- Questions are designed to be answered while the video plays—quick, simple responses keep students engaged without requiring deep reflection that would take them out of the presentation
- Question types are mixed: fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, check lists, and short answer are common; in some cases, matching or sequencing.
- Certain moments in a documentary merit undivided attention. No questions have been placed in those moments.
- "Play to the buzzer": Whenever possible, the last question in the set is answered during the last seconds of the video.
- I am a classroom teacher who has designed these resources for use with my students.
- If you find competing products online, by all means check them out. They may be cheaper; they may be free. None of them will be as professional, polished, or classroom-ready as this one.
April 2020 UPDATE: In addition to the printable PDFs of the student blank and answer key, a Google Docs version of the student document now included for easier distance learning use.