This resource contains 30 one-step word problems with a pirate theme for use in 1st, 2nd and potentially 3rd grade. Each word problem is printed on a map-like box and is intended to be cut and pasted into maths books.
Common core references are noted at the top of each slide for ease of use, as well as which step in the addition/subtraction learning journey the word problems target specifically. The learning journey is as follows:
- Addition/subtraction of two 1-digit numbers (within 20)
- Addition/subtraction of a 2-digit number and a 1-digit number (within 20)
- Addition/subtraction of a 2-digit number and a tens number, e.g. 31 + 20 (within 100)
- Addition/subtraction of two 2-digit numbers, without crossing the 10s boundary, e.g. 23 + 51 or 68 - 35 (within 100)
- Addition/subtraction of two 2-digit numbers, crossing the 10s boundary, e.g. 35 + 48 or 24 - 19 (within 100)
Common core references: CCSS.MATHS.CONTENT.1.OA.A.1 and CCSS.MATHS.CONTENT.2.OA.A.1