Are you engaging in your students in blended learning or are you starting to do some fully online teaching? Do you struggle with trying to get students to write more than just "I liked your response to this discussion question. Great job!"?
Online discussion skills are an essential for any online or blended learning experience, but students need guidance to help them become skilled at writing posts and responses that have more substance.
This student guide is a resource that I developed for students in my online and face-to-face blended classes where we are using an online classroom or online discussion board for some or all of our class discussions.
What this student guide contains:
• Expectations for discussion question responses
• General participation writing guidelines
• Tips and examples for writing posts with more substance
• Tips for respectfully disagreeing with others in online discussions
• Rubrics that we use to assess writing and online participation
I hope you will find this resource useful as you work to incorporate more engaging online discussions in your classroom!