This unit contains everything you need to teach Only the Names Remain: The Cherokees and the Trail of Tears by Alex W. Bealer! Included are:
1) A 16 page packet that helps students gather all the important details from the non-fiction text. For each section, there is a graphic organizer to guide students through the text and an extension activity that asks students to draw or write a response that shows their understanding.
2) An open response response essay that requires students to pull evidence from the text
3) A primary source quote from President Jackson to analyze and write about
4) A compilation of 5 Cherokee legends for students to explore
5) A comparison chart to help students understand the elements of Cherokee legends by making conjectures or generalizations they notice
6) A link to Newsela.com that contains several articles about the removal of President Jackson from the $20 bill. Newsela.com is free for students and teacher to join and will allow the teacher to select the reading level appropriate for the students.
7) A group project to create a poster that provides evidence to support keeping or replacing President Jackson on the $20 bill