Onomatopoeia-Country and City Sounds with an original rhyming Onomatopoeia Poem. This comprehensive unit consists of 21 pages, filled to the brim with lots of sound words and illustrations, practices to use the sound words, poem, comic strip writing and short story. There are 24 sounds in each category. Examples of country sounds are the horses neigh, the leaves rustle, the wind howls or cries. City sounds like the subway zips or whooshes, the airplane roars, and the car screeches.
For Cumulative Writing: On page 18-19, there is an onomatopoeia poem (rhyming) and a guide to show the steps of how to write one of their own. The poem is about a child's morning routine from the time she wakes up to the time she reaches school. On page 21, there is a humorous story, called "The Unforgettable Dinner!" and the child gets to finish it by using sound words. These activities will encourage them to use sound words in their classroom work or writing.
This set of activities goes well with Country Mouse and City Mouse Unit.
Table of Contents
• Definition of Onomatopoeia with examples Page 3
Country Sounds and Activities:-
• List of Country Sounds that Insects, animals and nature make Page 4
• List of Country Sounds Review Page 5
• Arranging the country sound words in ABC order Page 6
• Write the sound word in the box for each picture Page 7
• Choose the correct sound word to fit the sentence Page 8
• Before and After Sentences (Using sound words) Page 9
City Sounds and Activities:-
• List of City Sounds that things, traffic and buildings make Page 10
• List of City Sounds Review Page 11
• Write the city sound words in ABC order Page 12
• Write the sound word to match with the picture Page 13
• Circle the correct word in the sentences Page 14
• Before and After Sentences (Using Sound words) Page 15
Other sounds and Activites:-
• Think of a sound word that these actions make Page 16
• Creative Activity: Think, draw and write your own Page 17-18
• Write an onomatopoeia poem Page 19
• Comic strips using sound words Page 20
• Write a short story, “An Unforgettable dinner!” (humorous) Page 21
There is a list of 24 country sound words and 24 city sound words covered in this packet.
There are many exciting activities and material provided to build on the skills of using onomatopoeia in writing and speaking. I hope that the child learns to apply this skill to his or her other writing assignments.