Let’s Make Words!
Onset and Rime Spinners!
by Pam D'Alessandro
My Teaching Blog - Teaching By The Sea!
Common Core Aligned
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2c Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable spoken words.
These spinners are for students who are beginning to understand sounds and that some words begin or end alike. These spinners will help students gain mastery in identifying basic onset and rimes. Students will take turns spinning an onset and then a rime to make words. Students can work alone or have them work in pairs with one student spinning the onset and the other spinning the rime and then take turns blending the sounds to make a word. Have students blend nonsense and real words and sort after spinning.
Some examples of Onsets and Rimes are:
Onset: b, s, h, f, k Rime: it
Onset: j, l, n, m, p, w Rime: et
Onset: b, c, f, h, m Rime: at
Onset: h, m, t, st Rime: op
Onset: b, f, g, r, s Rime: un
Onset: c, f, m, p, v Rime: an
• 6 Onset and Rime Spinning Cards - Buddies Word Together in pairs for centers or Word Word (See example)
• Onset and Rime Spinner Card Pieces (color and picture coded for independent learning)
• 5 Individual Spinning Cards for small group (individualized instruction)
• Arrow Sheet (in case you do not want to use pencil and paperclip you can cut out the arrows, laminate, and use a brad)
• Rhyming Words Response Sheet to check center work (can be glued into Center Notebooks for assessment)
• Real and Nonsense Words Sorts Response Sheet for partner work
• Real and Nonsense Cards to be used by teacher in whole group or use with Sorts Response Sheet.
For rigor, have students think of more words they know that have the same rime.
They can also make rime word banks in their journals.
Let's Make Words!
by Pam DAlessandro
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License
Based on a work at www.teacherspayteachers/Store/I-Love-My-Kinders