Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This Interactions of Indigenous Peoples and Europeans Prior to 1713 Bundle is a comprehensive resource intended to support the Grade 5 2018 Revised Ontario Curriculum expectations for the unit of the same name. The revised curriculum "strengthens learning connected with Indigenous perspectives, cultures, histories, and contemporary realities, including those related to the residential school system and treaties" You will find that this resource provides ample emphasis on these Ministry of Education priorities.
This Bundle is currently being revised (The original resource corresponded with the .) Updates will be made on a regular basis as the revisions occur, so you will want to check the "My Purchases" section of your TPT account on a regular basis to ensure you are working with the most recent version. As of Sept. 8, 2018, Parts 1, 2, and 3 have had an initial revision, with the other 2 parts soon to follow.
NOTE: This resource is also available in FRENCH in our TPT store! You will find that this resource contains a multitude of activities, and that you will be able to thoughtfully choose which ones best suit the needs of your students! This bundle contains the following smaller units:
***You may want to check out the preview files for each separate section by clicking on the links above, as the preview file for this bundled resource shows only a tiny segment of the full unit, due to file size restrictions for previews!***
This very large unit allows students to work through the inquiry process, (formulating questions, gathering and organizing information, analysing maps, interpreting information, evaluating evidence from both primary and secondary sources) as they investigate:
- the major Indigenous groups in early Canada
- the interactions between Indigenous Peoples
- the motives for European exploration in North America
- European claims to First Nations territory
- interactions between Indigenous Peoples and European explorers/settlers
- positive and negative consequences of European settlement on both Indigenous peoples and European communities
- the effects of fur trade conflict
- the long-term effects of early Indigenous Peoples and European interactions on present-day Canadian issues
PLEASE BE AWARE:if you purchased this bundle previous to July 31, 2016 you will want to re-download the most recent version which has video links corrected! You may want to locate a VHS, DVD, or online copy of "Canada: A People's History" which many schools already have. You could also check your school board's media centre or your municipal library systems.
Other resources you may want to check out in my TPT store are:
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. ☺