This package includes a variety of 4-question skills checks based on Ontario Kindergarten and Grade 1 Language expectations. It can also be done with students with IEPs.
The skills are repeated and reviewed in subsequent skills checks - which are not labeled by weeks/date, so you can differentiate and move on as needed.
I do these during individual meetings with my students every Friday. It gets sent home with a quick note on what the students need to work on (such as identifying letters). They are not as arduous as completing entire letter or phonics screeners - and can be used as short follow-up assessments to gauge new skills and knowledge in a simple and fast way.
I use the information from this assessment to create a "data wall" with skills and Post-Its with student names put under each skill that they need to work on. This helps me (and anyone else working with my students) make guided groups, assign websites or apps to work on, assign word work stations, et cetera.
- write the letter (as dictated by the teacher)
- write the word (as dictated by the teacher)
- circle the letter (as dictated by the teacher)
- circle the given letter in different fonts
- identify lowercase version of a given uppercase letter
- identify uppercase version of a given lowercase letter
- read CVC/Short Vowel word and colour the picture
- circle the first letter of the object in the picture
- colour the photo that has the given beginning digraph
- colour the photo that has the given beginning blend
- circle the last letter of the object in the picture
- circle short vowel of given CVC picture
- colour the 2 (of 3) pictures that are rhyming words
This resource uses the Canadian/UK spelling of "colour."
This is currently a growing resource.
Like this assessment style?
Check this out!
Ontario Kindergarten and Grade 1 Skills Check: Mathematics
Remember to leave feedback on your purchases. You'll earn TPT credits - which you can use to discount future purchases!