Teach art in math class or math in art class! Op Art is a form of art that uses patterns and colors to create the illusion of movement. Students will create op art and use their art to solve for 2 numbers to count, compose, tally, and create.
Op Art Math K – Number Bonds to 10 is a set of worksheets to compose numbers that will appear to move! Students will color 2D shapes to create 2 numbers that they will use to compose 10. The background around the shapes is an op art pattern that the students can color once the math work is complete.
• color 2D geometric shapes (Bear in a Square shapes, circles, squares, rectangles, triangles, and ovals)
• complete a ten frame
• compose a part-part-whole equation
• record each number with tally marks
• create a number sentence
• color the op art background with an AB pattern
Lesson can be introduced by reading the book Bear in a Square. Students begin by choosing 2 colors and color the 2D geometric shapes on the worksheet. The Bear in a Square math worksheets include the 10 shapes that are in the book. The other worksheets focus on a different shape, either circles, squares, rectangles, triangles, or ovals. Coloring the shapes with complementary colors (opposites on the color wheel - red and green, blue and orange, and purple and yellow) will give the greatest contrast and the best results for op art. They will then count the shapes and color the ten frame to match the colored shapes. Students will use the 2 numbers to fill in the 2 parts of the part-part-whole equation and solve to get the whole. Record each number with tally marks. They can then use the 3 numbers from the part-part-whole equation to complete the number sentence. Once the students have completed the math, have them color the background with an AB pattern. Black and white will give the greatest contrast for the best optical effect.
This product includes
• 1 Bear in a Square math worksheet with Op Art background
• 1 Bear in a Square math worksheet without Op Art background
• 5 Op Art math worksheets with shapes
• 1 sheet with 2 math worksheets that can be cut in half and used with manipulatives
• 6 colored and calculated samples