Op-Ed Essay Research Project PBL Print & Digital
Also included in
- Transform your Civics American Government classroom to be inquiry-driven and project-based and start cultivating authentic learning with this complete semester course, plus bonuses!This is the course I wish existed my first years teaching Civics and then again years later when I found myself teachinPrice $169.97Original Price $215.50Save $45.53
- Expand your students' writing, research, and civics skills with this wide collection of universal, plug-and-play writing project packs. to enhance any course from English to History to Current Events to College Writing or Business classes! This is the perfect way to seamlessly make any English, SociPrice $35.00Original Price $47.50Save $12.50
- This tightly-woven semester course combines Human Geography, Current Events, Contemporary World Issues, and Environmental Science into a must-teach inquiry-driven, real-world, project-based experience.With these thematic, inquiry-driven units that build on each other, ask students to decide for themPrice $115.00Original Price $131.00Save $16.00
- Transform your U.S. History classroom to be inquiry-driven and project-based and start cultivating authentic learning with this growing course, plus bonuses!This is the course I wish existed in my first year teaching U.S. History. Whether you are brand new and overwhelmed or looking to upgrade yourPrice $139.97Original Price $171.50Save $31.53
Upgrade your social studies class with this authentic research and persuasive essay project that engages your students to be real agents of change with their local community!
Cultivating great writing skills isn’t hard. You just need the scaffolded, step-by-step directions and models in one low-prep, everything's-included project kit.
This resource comes in both PDF and Google Slides for your flexibility!
Greatness is taking one’s words and thoughts, perfected over years in the classroom, to the real world in order to create authentic change.
This nation holds highest its free speech and press, yet so few meaningfully use it. Town halls are sorely attended and newspapers are struggling to stay alive. And Twitter fails at the “long-form” meaningful conversations of the local paper’s Opinion section.
Challenge your students to research an issue they're passionate about and write a submit-worthy Letter to the Editor, creating something that will influence the world beyond your classroom walls.
Included in this project kit:
- Project Steps sheet- take students from brainstorming to submitting in 6 scaffolded steps
- 5 Free Write sheets- get students going with different prompts to encourage their budding ideas and opinions
- Essay Plan sheet- solidify their ideas to prepare for a teacher conference, prior to beginning the writing stage
- News Media Research sheet: collect their source analysis as they learn more
- 2 Outline sheets- includes 2 versions, depending on the scaffolding needs of your students
- Essay Overview sheet- offer action-driven directions to each part of the Op-Ed essay
- Annotated Sample sheet- provide an example of a complete Op-Ed essay
- Peer / Self Edit sheet- help to catch any aspects that need improvement
- Reflection & Rubrics sheets- give clear expectations for fast scoring (also comes in an editable Word Doc for your customization!)
- BONUS Skill Sheets: Analyzing News Media Sources, Annotating a Text, Annotating a Citation, Citing Evidence & Sourcing, and Finding Appropriate Sources
PDF & Goggle Slides of all students materials!
Save and get the bundle, turning your students into civic participants!
Civics Political & Community Service Learning Project get this and 5 more writing projects included in this BINGO-style political engagement project
See how to weave this into a content unit
Civics PBL Citizenship Test & Op-Ed Research Project Unit after guiding students to pass the official U.S. Naturalization Test, help them research, write, and submit an original Op-Ed essay on if the test should be a high school graduation requirement
Make this into a larger writing project your students will thank you for
College & Scholarship Essay Project encourage your students to turn their words into cold hard cash and glory through real scholarships, essay contests, and Op-Ed pieces they write and submit
Want more individual plug-and-play writing projects?
- Boycott / Buycott Business Letter
- Interview Narrative Essay
- Letter to the Editor
- Letter to Your Elected Official
- Personal Statement Narrative Essay
- Position Paper Essay
- Reflection Essay
- Thank You Note
- Or get them all with the 9 PBL Writing Projects Bundle and save big!
This listing is for one license for regular, non-commercial classroom use by a single teacher only. Commercial use like online teaching (ex. Outschool) or sharing with other teachers (ex. shared drive, in a Facebook group, in a professional development training) is strictly prohibited.
By purchasing a license to this resource, you have access to all future updates at no cost, available under “My Purchases." Multiple and transferable licenses are available for purchase. PDF files are uneditable, other files have editing abilities, unless otherwise stated. All files are protected under federal copyright laws.