Also included in
- Expand your students' authentic skill base and engage in real-world change through this wide collection of universal, plug-and-play writing project packs to enhance any course from English to History to Current Events to College Writing or Business classes! This is the perfect way to seamlessly turn$28.00$47.50Save $19.50
- Transform your Civics American Government classroom to be inquiry-driven and project-based and start cultivating authentic learning with this complete semester course, plus bonuses!This is the course I wish existed my first years teaching Civics and then again years later when I found myself teachin$137.60$215.00Save $77.40
- This tightly-woven semester course combines Human Geography, Contemporary World Issues, and Environmental Science into a must-teach inquiry-driven, real-world, project-based experience.With these thematic, inquiry-driven units that build on each other, ask students to decide for themselves where the$92.00$131.00Save $39.00
- Transform your U.S. History classroom to be inquiry-driven and project-based and start cultivating authentic learning with this growing course, plus bonuses!This is the course I wish existed my first years teaching U.S. History. Whether you are brand new and overwhelmed or looking to upgrade your im$110.08$171.00Save $60.92
Take your Civics, Current Issues, Environmental Science, or English class to the next level with this authentic research and essay writing project by guiding your students to gain the confidence of engaging their civic voice with their larger community!
Cultivating great writing skills isn’t hard. You just need the scaffolded, step-by-step directions and models in one low-prep, everything's-included project kit. Let's make this year a great year of writing!
This resource comes in both PDF and Google Slides for your flexibility!
Greatness is taking one’s words and thoughts, perfected over years in the classroom, to the real world in order to create authentic change.
This nation holds higher than anything else its free speech and free press, yet so few meaningfully engage it with their community. Town halls are sorely attended and newspapers are struggling to stay afloat. Twitter and YouTube are great content providers, but fail to replace the “long-form” articulated, deep conversations of the local paper’s Opinion section.
Challenge your students to be part of the quality, in-depth discussion of their favorite and most important issues by researching one about which they are passionate, selecting the appropriate media outlet, and writing a formal Op-Ed essay, arguing a thoughtful, personal, and well-supported position.
Replace the boring textbook with the topics and activities that matter to your students and help them create products that will influence the world beyond your classroom walls.
Included in this project package:
- Project Steps sheet- takes students from brainstorming to submitting in 6 scaffolded steps
- 5 Free Write sheets- gets students going with different prompts to encourage their budding ideas and opinions
- Essay Plan sheet- solidifies their ideas to prepare for a teacher conference, prior to beginning the writing stage
- News Media Research sheet: collects their source analysis as they learn more
- 2 Outline sheets- includes 2 versions, depending on the scaffolding needs of your students
- Essay Overview sheet- offers action-driven directions to each part of the Op-Ed essay
- Annotated Sample sheet- provides an example of a complete Op-Ed essay
- Peer / Self Edit sheet- helps to catch any aspects that need improvement
- Reflection & Rubrics sheets (CCSS aligned and universal)- gives clear expectations for fast scoring (also comes in an editable Word Doc for your customization!)
- BONUS Skill Sheets: Analyzing News Media Sources, Annotating a Text, Annotating a Citation, Citing Evidence & Sourcing, and Finding Appropriate Sources
PDF & Goggle Slides of all students materials!
Save and get the bundle, turning your students into civic participants!
Civics Political & Community Service Learning Project get this and 5 more Art of Writing projects included in this BINGO-style political engagement project
Want to see how to weave this into a content unit?
Civics PBL Citizenship Test & Op-Ed Research Project Unit after guiding students to pass the official U.S. Naturalization Test, help them research, write, and submit an original Op-Ed essay on if the test should be a high school graduation requirement
Want to make this into a larger writing project your students will thank you for?
College & Scholarship Essay Project encourage your students to turn their words into cold hard cash and glory through real scholarships, essay contests, and Op-Ed pieces they write and submit
Want more individual plug-and-play writing projects?
Want to it all?
Art of Writing Bundle get all the projects at once which saves you 20% and gains you FREE access to any future adds!