Open ended problems have multiple solutions. This means they are fantastic for helping students to think flexibly. Open ended problems also help students to develop deep understandings of concepts. You can use open ended math tasks with all students. They are also a great way to cater for gifted and talented students.
Please note, this pack uses the spelling “color”. The UK version of this pack (which uses the spelling “colour”) is also available.
The following is a list of what is included in this pack:
1. 24 task cards with four different types of open ended questions. The questions gradually increase with difficulty over the course of the pack. They use numbers up to 50.
2. The 24 task cards are also included in black line, in case you prefer this as a printing option.
3. An introduction with information for teachers describing how to use this pack.
4. 4 sample answers as a guide to how students could answer the questions. (As the questions are open ended there are no set answers.)
5. 4 optional introductory tasks for you to go through with your students before your students work on the task cards independently.
6. An optional cover card titled ‘Addition and Subtraction Task Cards’.
7. Several recording sheets for you to choose from.
8. A tracking sheet for students to color the grid squares once they have finished each task.
If you are interested in more open ended mathematics tasks, please check out:
FREE: Open Ended Mathematics: 2 Addition and Subtraction Tasks
Open Ended Mathematics: Addition and Subtraction Tasks
Farm Themed Open Ended Mathematics Tasks
Christmas Themed Open Ended Mathematics Tasks
New open-ended mathematics products are on their way to my Learning Sprouts store! When I upload a new product, it is discounted for the first 48 hours. If you would like to receive an email notification of when new products are uploaded, please follow my store by clicking the green star near the Learning Sprouts logo on this page.
This pack has been created to be used in different regions. This product may also be referred to as: open ended math, open ended maths, open ended mathematics, addition and subtraction word problems, math word problems, math problem solving, maths problem solving, mathematics problem solving, higher order thinking skills (HOTS) math, HOTS maths, HOTS mathematics, math centers, and gifted and talented math and math printables.
Thank you for your interest in my product!
Find me on Facebook and Pinterest for even more offers, activities
and inspiration www.facebook.com/learningsprouts