This no-prep pack includes 12 worksheets: 6 open ended addition tasks and 6 open ended subtraction tasks.
There is one task per worksheet, as well as a bonus challenge task (written at the bottom).
The worksheets included in this pack are:
1. ‘Pet Fish’ – Adding 3 numbers
2. ‘Dice Addition’ – Adding numbers up to 12
3. ‘Friends’ – Writing addition stories
4. ‘Nature Walk’ – Adding to a number that is 1 more
5. ‘Counting Cars’ – Different combinations to make 9
6. ‘Picking Fruit’ – Different combinations to make amounts more than 8
7. ‘Birds in the Tree’ – Subtracting from 11
8. ‘True or False?’ – Writing true and false number sentences
9. ‘Cat and Mice’ – Writing subtraction number stories
10. ‘Balloons’ – Subtracting from 18
11. ‘Flowers’ – Subtraction with 3 remaining
12. ‘Cookies’ – Subtracting 2 amounts
As this pack is written for young students (grades 1, 2 and 3) the worksheets in this pack require students to record most of their answers as drawings as well as number sentences. The worksheets include visual prompts for students to visualize and problem solve.
Each worksheet has an explanation for teachers in the ‘Possible Answers and Lesson Tips’ section. This section gives examples of the types of answers that students may give to the questions. It also gives simple tips for teachers to support their students.
There is an optional workbook cover included, in case you would like to combine the worksheets to make a workbook for your students.
There is a step-by-step guide for how you could teach an open ended mathematics lesson.
Open ended mathematics tasks are great for many reasons:
• Open ended tasks cater for students working at different levels because there is a range of acceptable answers to the questions.
• Open ended tasks encourage flexible thinking about ways to problem solve and present answers, rather than simply requiring students to recall information.
• Open ended tasks encourage students to talk about how they will solve problems, and to articulate their skills and understandings.
• Open ended tasks are great assessment tools because they give teachers an insight into how students apply their learning to a problem, which demonstrates their understandings.
This pack can be used in many ways:
• Use as individual worksheets with the whole class or in learning stations.
• Use the worksheets as a way of revising content you have covered with your class.
• Use the worksheets as an assessment tool to gauge your students’ problem solving abilities on a topic.
• Give the workbook / individual worksheets to gifted and talented students in your class as a way of extending and challenging them in mathematics.
• Give the worksheets to students as homework to complete with their families.
If you are interested in more open ended mathematics tasks, please check out:
• Farm Themed Open Ended Mathematics Tasks
• Christmas Themed Open Ended Mathematics Tasks
New open-ended mathematics products are on their way to my Learning Sprouts store! When I upload a new product, it is discounted for the first 48 hours. If you would like to receive an email notification of when new products are uploaded, please follow my store by clicking the green star near the Learning Sprouts logo on this page.
This pack has been created to be used in different regions. This product may also be referred to as: open ended math, open ended maths, open ended mathematics, addition and subtraction word problems, math word problems, math problem solving, maths problem solving, mathematics problem solving, higher order thinking skills (HOTS) math, HOTS maths, HOTS mathematics, math centers, and math printables.
Thank you for your interest in my product!
Find me on Facebook and Pinterest for even more offers, activities
and inspiration www.facebook.com/learningsprouts