This set of 35 passages and comprehension questions will help students write responses in complete sentences hilew restating the question (PQA, TTQA, RACE, RAPS). These short passages are meant as a quick practice for 1st and 2nd grade students, but I've even used them with low third graders to practice the skill before scaffolding to more appropriately leveled texts. The passages offer a simple text, but both literal and inferential questions. They are provided in half sheets to use half the paper!
PQA stands for Putting the Question in the Answer and is a common acronym for teaching students to respond in complete sentences while restating the question.
Pages 1 and 2 are available for free in the preview for you to try out.
This is also a great resource for ESL/ELD students. Not only do students have to comprehend the passages, but they also have to use correct syntax in their responses. It's the perfect companion to your current program.
A great, beginning of the year introduction to this skill is my Kicking Off a Great Year: An introduction to Restating the Question
For the second step in this series (longer, and more complex) check out Open Ended Passages and Questions for 2nd Grade
Other Products Practicing Restating the Question
• Open Ended Passages and Questions for 2nd Grade
• Open Ended Passages and Questions for 2nd Grade Set 2
• Restating the Question: An Introduction through Oral Language
Other 1st Grade Products You Might Like
• 1st Grade Math Warm Up/Morning Work- Set 1
• Addition & Subtraction Facts 5 in a Row Bundle: 9 No Prep Games & Powerpoints
• Phoneme Segmentation & Blending: Tap It & Blend It Cards
• Problem of the Day Story Problems 1st Grade- Bundle