Opinion Writing: In this packet, students will understand the difference between fact and opinion. They will listen to the readings of two different spider books, participate in discussion, and complete a shared recording of facts learned about spiders. Students will then complete a spider craftivity on which they will write two facts they learned in complete sentences. They will then participate in a sorting activity to gain an understanding of the difference between fact and opinion. Students will write a letter to the teacher stating their opinion of the spider book they enjoyed the most.
Included in this packet:
• Fact/Opinion posters
• Spider pattern for Spider Craftivity
• Opinion letter template
• Fact and Opinion templates that will work with any subject
• Fact and Opinion Sort Activity
This packet meets the following standards:
• RI2 – with prompting and support, identify the main topic and retell key details of a text.
• W1 – use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose opinion pieces in which they tell a reader the topic or name of the book they are writing about and state an opinion or preference about the topic or book.
• L2 – demonstrate command of conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.