This activity is designed to help students build better arguments by analyzing other models of argumentative writing. They will determine the author’s viewpoint, identify the reasons and evidence behind the author’s argument, and develop their own point of view based on the readings. The lesson also includes a graphic organizer for helping students develop their written pieces.
RI.4.8, W.4.1, RI.5.8, W.5.1
The following resources are included in the packet :
• A ”Longer School Days”--opposing viewpoints articles
• Analysis/Activity Sheet--students analyze the articles for the author’s reasons and examples; prompt for writing their own opinion
• Blank Writing Organizer--for brainstorming their own writing
• Answer Key and Student Writing Samples
• Instructional Outline--teaching notes for presenting the lesson to the students