You will receive with your PDF download:
- A brief project booklet for students to complete for their "Teach the Class" project.
- A one-point rubric: You will write in what was not meeting or above expectations. I find these rubrics are much more straightforward for students to understand what is expected of them.
- A unit overview that lists in order ideas for how to teach the Optics unit in Grade 8 Science in Manitoba. This is not a step-by-step unit plan!
- In the unit overview are suggested topics for students to use for their "Teach the Class" projects
How to Use
- I do this project entirely individual, but I allow students to present in pairs.
- Have students think about their favourite thing they have ever seen, visualize it, describe it and draw it.
- Assign students at random a topic from the ones suggested in the unit plan overview.
- Students will complete the research requirement on their topic.
- Students will choose from a list of options on how to create a visual representation of their topic. This is a way to showcase all of the research that they have done!
- The final step is to have students present or teach the class all about their topic.
- When I do this project, I try to do it as co-teaching, where students see me as their teaching partner. This eases their nerves and increases their confidence I find.