Orange Shirt Day Lesson is a great way to teach the significance of reconciliations between the Canadian Government and Residential school survivors to your students. It is a time to talk about the hardships endured by the First Nations children as they were sent to residential school by the Canadian Government. This package includes answer key, multiple approaches to complete the lesson depending on the age of your students.
Manitoba Teacher Societies has recognized this day and hopes to see all schools wear their orange shirt in support of the First Nation Peoples.
Early Years books to support program
- Shi-ski- etko By: Nicola Campbell
- Shin-chai Canoe By: Nicola Campbell
- Arctic Stories By: Michael Krusugak
- Kookum’s Red Shoes By: Peter Eyvindson
Middle Years books to support program:
- Fatty Legs – A True Story By: Christy Jordon Fenton & Margaret Pokirk Fenton
- A Stranger at Home By: Christy Jordon Fenton & Margaret Pokirk Fenton
- No Time to Say Goodbye – Children Stories of Kuper – Iceldand Residential School By: Sylvia Olsen
- As Long as the River Flows By: Larry Loyie