Use the classic rhyme Orange is a Carrot to practice the identification of color words. An animated PowerPoint of the poem will keep early readers engaged and can be used for introduction and repeated practice. Two worksheets provide independent practice and can be used as informal assessment. A colorful copy of the poem can be used for individual and partner reading. Bonus "Lift-the-Flap" Color Word Flashcards are also included for use in small group instruction, centers, etc. A detailed lesson plan provides related English Language Arts Common Core Standards for grades K & 1st with suggestions for four lessons.
Here are the specific materials included:
*Orange is a Carrot PowerPoint with 12 slides
*Color Word Match Worksheet (PDF)
*Color Word Practice Worksheet (PDF)
*Orange is a Carrot poem (PDF)
*Lesson Plan (PDF)
*BONUS Lift-the-Flap Color Word Flashcards
The ELA Common Core State Standards related to this resource include:
• K.RL.5 Recognize common types of texts (e.g., storybooks, poems).
• K.RL.10 Actively engage in group reading activities with purpose and understanding.
• K.RFS.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
o Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., the, of, to, you, she, my, is, are, do, does).
• 1.RL.10 With prompting and support, read prose and poetry of appropriate complexity for grade 1.
• 1.RFS.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
*Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words
*Recognize and read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.
• 1.RFS.4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension
*Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
*Read grade-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression.
*Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
All of the materials are included in a compressed file. When you download it, you will find the PowerPoint and a PDF file with the lessons plans and worksheets inside. Click on extract all files and the files will open normally in PowerPoint and PDF.
If you have a Smart Board, you may want to purchase Orange is a Carrot Reading Color Words Lesson for the Smart Board
. This PowerPoint is included in the Smart Board version.
Your feedback means a lot to me and helps you get a discount on future purchases! Please remember to stop back to leave your comments and rating.
Thank you so much for your interest!