This math center was created to give students practice identifying coins, mastering knowledge of coin values, adding money, and being able to count out correct amounts of money needed to pay for items on the menu.
• There will need to be 2 students. One will be the customer and one will be the waiter/waitress.
• The customer will READ the menu and give the waiter/waitress their order.
• The waiter/waitress will WRITE the order on the ticket. The ticket will need to have student’s names on it. This will be turned in to the teacher for a quick informal assessment.
• The waiter/waitress will add up the total amount owed for the customer’s order. In the beginning, orders should be kept to 2 or 3 items. As students advance in counting money they should challenge their selves by ordering several more items from the menu. The customer will count out the correct amount of money and pay the waiter/waitress for their order. The waiter/waitress will need to count the money to make sure the customer paid the correct amount.
• The students will then switch roles and repeat.
• Have fun!!
• Menu with prices
• Order tickets
• Coin Values (helpful tool for beginners)
• Color copy of coins and dollar bills
• Game instructions for teacher
• Separate game instructions for students (on cover sheet)