PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Your students will love this highly interactive and engaging Order of Operations lesson!
This lesson can stand alone, or be used in conjunction with my Order of Operations YouTube instructional video (see video link at bottom)! I created both the lesson plan and video to work hand-in-hand to support student engagement, knowledge, and achievement!
The lesson plan is aligned with the Ontario Math Curriculum Expectations and the Common Core State Standards. By the end of the lesson, students will:
1. Understand the basic rules for the order of operations;
2. Recognize situations in which it is necessary to follow the order of operations;
3. Demonstrate an understanding, in a variety of ways (e.g., oral discussion, investigation activities), the need for a standard order of operations when simplifying expressions with multiple operations;
4. Apply the order of operations to a variety of situations, including complex, multi-step problem-solving situations, explorations, and investigations.
Lesson Package Includes:
Complete lesson plan detailing:
• Learning goals
• Ontario Curriculum Expectations
• Common Core State Standards
• Lesson materials
• Preparation requirements (minimal!)
• Connections to prior knowledge and skills
• Common misunderstandings and misconceptions
• Mini-lesson includes:
o Minds-On whole-class discussion and interactive partner activity
o Action! Interactive small group activity, whole-class and small group discussions, partner and individual practice opportunities
o Consolidation/ Debrief whole-class and partner review
• Modification and Differentiation considerations
• Take-away/ Review/ Homework Activity – reflective journal with guiding questions
• Assessment tools
• Next Steps for learning
• Teacher self-reflection tool
The lesson package also includes appendices containing:
• “Candy Conundrum” word problem – will work as a poster, hand-out, or digital display
• Rule cards for small group activity
• Small group Order of Operations questions
• Small group discussion questions
• 2 different "Apply Your Knowledge" questions for individual and partner work with a variety of different question types to fully solidify student's knowledge and understanding (the second page of questions could be used for differentiation)
• Journal response questions for reflection
• Teacher answer sheet for the entire lesson (not just the student hand-outs!)
The approximate lesson length is 60 minutes, but can easily be extended or divided into multiple lessons!
You might be interested in these other great products from EJFullerton:
FREE digital downloads:
Follow EJFullerton on social media:
Visit my website for additional information, resources, and my educational blog!
View my Order of Operations video lesson here: Order of Operations by EJFullerton
Note: The Order of Operations YouTube video is free to everyone and is not included in the sale price of this product, nor is it part of this product package.
This product is Copyright © 2018 by EJFullerton and is intended for use by the purchaser only. Sharing, copying, and/or printing of the file or materials is prohibited to those other than the purchaser without express written permission by the author. Basically, please be honest and fair, and respect the time and effort I put into the creation of this product.
Thanks so much!