This is 45 pages of detailed information about how you can implement THE MOST AWESOME UNIT ON THE ORDER OF OPERATIONS EVER! I'm serious: if you use this and even implement half of my recommendations, you are going to be the most awesome math teacher ever!
It has tons of sagacious advice and recommendations, lots of printable activities that you can use with your kids (sorry, no "scoots" though), and even the answers, all in 45 pages....
Here's what this covers (did I tell you it was 45 pages long?)
1) What is PEMDAS anyway? You mean Einstein never used PEMDAS?
2) Why was PEMDAS invented? (you won't believe why...)
3) How should I teach PEMDAS? (a high-tech low-tech approach that you won't believe actually works....)
4) The Calculator vs. the Computer: why does the O of O's work on one (but not the other?)
5) "Conventions" vs. "Rules" - Get your students away from rule based mathematics!
6) The "P" does not belong in "PEMDAS" - this is a critical error we all make.
7) Googling an expression - you'll have to read this for yourself.
8) Why teach PEMDAS through investigation? 6 important reasons, including the fact that PEMDAS is WRONG!
9) Why you have to stop saying PEMDAS (and what you can call it instead)
10) A better way to practice the "order of operations." Practice does make perfect, but your students need to do "smart practice." This is what it looks like....
11) Go ahead: Teach PEMDAS! It's old, it's moldy, but maybe it actually is useful. But you have to teach it the right way. Here's how.
12) How to really assess the "order of operations" - you know those multiple choice questions you've been downloading? They stink - here's why and here's how to fix them.
13) Moron assessing the order of operations: how to assess concept knowledge and problem solving, as well as ideas for long term projects.
14) Some final thoughts and word of encouragement: 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 = ?
15) Shout out to Illumnismart for her awesome kids artwork!
This is a comprehensive guide to teaching and assessing the order of operations. It will make you a star teacher in every conceivable way, because you will know ten times more than your colleagues, 100 times more than your textbook, 1,000 times more than your supervisor, and perhaps even as much as me. It raises the bar on what you should teach, how you should teach it, and what you can expect your students to understand. It incorporates history and has several connections to language arts as well as integrates technology into several lessons.
It's pretty damned awesome and a bargain at even 8 x (3 + 14) ÷ 12 times the price....
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback. It helps me to make resources that meet your needs.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, free resources and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about my new products.