Oregon Trail Project – This fun and engaging project asks students to work in groups to create an ABC book about the Oregon Trail and Westward Expansion. Learners will identify several important and meaningful words associated with their assigned letter from their research, write a well-written paragraph that accurately uses their chosen words in context, and then draw an illustration that relates to one or more of their chosen words. In the end, students will present their completed books to the class to show their understanding of this amazing period of US history. This project is a great opportunity to meet Common Core Standards across multiple content areas.
This packet includes
• Lesson Plan
• ABC Graphic Organizer
• ABC Final Draft Book
• Scoring Rubric
• 2 Student Sample Books (ppt)
• Students will show a deeper understanding and knowledge of why people moved West.
• Students will continue to develop research skills.
• Students will use note taking and information gathering skills to collect important information from a non-fiction source.
• Students will produce a picture book and present their finished product to the class.