Learning about organisms (plants and animals) is a big part of the 1st grade Next Gen Science Standards. This 3 week in-depth unit gives students hands on activities, STEM challenges and literacy connections to help them understand the big idea, "Organisms have tools for survival."
See this HUGE 140+ page unit in action including all of the resources used for this unit ON THE BLOG!
Included in this packet:
• unit outline with the big idea and essential question for each week
• weekly detailed lesson plans
• 14 objective cards plus a blank objective card
• 3 writing prompts
• organism vocab word find
• organism vocab crossword puzzle
• Living/Non-living sort
• I'm An Organism poem
• Animals can-have-need printable
• Plants can-have-need printable
• Animals and Plants cut and paste venn diagram
• Animal baby/parent matching cards (6 pairs)
• Family traits project (with 4 diversity sensitive versions)
• Traits Tally Station Posters for 6 traits
• Graphs for each of the 6 traits (eyes, earlobes, hair, tongue (curl/not curl), dimples, freckles)
• Plant parts jobs flipbook (2 versions - color & write, and make & write with a craft)
• Adaptation Stations - read about this in detail in the preview
• Paper materials needed for adaptation stations included an animal-human adaptation matching game
• STEM challenge: Copy Cat (Mimicking organism adaptations)
• 14 vocabulary word wall cards and definitions to use for matching word and definitions or find your partner games
• Anchor Chart Templates in full color and BW: see preview for chart names (answer anchor charts included
• answer keys available for printables
Animal Classification and Human Body Integrated Unit
Here are links to all 6 of my Common Core units plus a year long PACING GUIDE for first grade!
a Bundle of Year Long Science and Social Studies
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2018, licensed for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for more than one classroom use!
Follow My TPT Store
| Follow My Blog