Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Learning about organisms (plants and animals) is a big part of the 1st grade Next Gen Science Standards. This 3 week in-depth unit gives students hands on activities, STEM challenges and literacy connections to help them understand the big idea, "Organisms have tools for survival."
See this HUGE 140+ page unit in action including all of the resources used for this unit ON THE BLOG!
THE FOLLOWING NEXT GEN STANDARDS ARE ADDRESSED:
• Organisms: 1-LS1-1, 1-LS1-2, 1-LS3-1, K-2-ETS1-2
Included in this packet:
• unit outline with the big idea and essential question for each week
• weekly detailed lesson plans
• 14 objective cards plus a blank objective card
• 3 writing prompts
• organism vocab word find
• organism vocab crossword puzzle
• Living/Non-living sort
• I'm An Organism poem
• Animals can-have-need printable
• Plants can-have-need printable
• Animals and Plants cut and paste venn diagram
• Animal baby/parent matching cards (6 pairs)
• Family traits project (with 4 diversity sensitive versions)
• Traits Tally Station Posters for 6 traits
• Graphs for each of the 6 traits (eyes, earlobes, hair, tongue (curl/not curl), dimples, freckles)
• Plant parts jobs flipbook (2 versions - color & write, and make & write with a craft)
• Adaptation Stations - read about this in detail in the preview
• Paper materials needed for adaptation stations included an animal-human adaptation matching game
• STEM challenge: Copy Cat (Mimicking organism adaptations)
• 14 vocabulary word wall cards and definitions to use for matching word and definitions or find your partner games
• Anchor Chart Templates in full color and BW: see preview for chart names (answer anchor charts included
• answer keys available for printables
*NOTE: Week 1 (What are organisms?) is very similar to week 1 in the kinder habitats unit.*
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2018, licensed for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for more than one classroom use!