This product provides 95 word cards for a highly engaging Memory Matching Game reinforcing the reading and spelling for irregular R-controlled syllables. The word cards offer opportunities to read words with “ar” and “or” spellings read as /Ər/ at the end of a word.
The cards are designed specifically for the Reading Drill of a lesson that follows the Orton-Gillingham approach to teaching reading. The word cards provided in this product can be used as words for reading during the Reading Drill, or as a Memory Match Game in a literacy center. Either way, the word cards will
• teach efficient decoding,
• encourage reading fluency,
• develop rapid, automatic naming, &
• provide opportunity for skill mastery.
In the pages, you will find pairs of word cards organized by specific R-controlled syllable patterns. These pairs of word cards form sets that can be used for a Reading Drill or for playing a Memory Matching Game focusing on a specific sound-spelling skill. The following sets of word cards are provided:
• ending “-ar” read as /Ər/ "beggar"
• ending “-or” read as /Ər/ "dollar"
• ending “-ard” read as /Ərd/ "wizard"
• ending “-ward” read as /wƏrd/ "backward"
• syllable “wor-“ read as /wƏr/ "work"
To use as a Memory Matching Game in a literacy center, simply copy each set onto a different color of cardstock, and cut the words apart. As students work in groups of 2 or 3, select cards, and search for matching words, there are multiple opportunities to read and re-read words that reinforce a specific skill or pattern.