This a leveled pack of sight words suitable for Orton-Gillingham instruction for levels 1-5. This pack accompanies my leveled Orton-Gillingham words and sentences products. The words come from the recommended lists passed along to me during my training in using the Orton-Giillingham approach. I realize there are many other longer lists of sight words used in classrooms.
These lists are short and manageable enough, so not to overwhelm a struggling reader. Here are a few important things to remember:
1. An educator trained in using an Orton-Gillingham approach is highly recommended for use with this product.
2. This is just one approach to teaching sight words. There are many others. Whichever you choose, please make sure to provide plenty of multi-sensory practice and repetition.
3. Sight words in OG are generally called learned words or red words. I’ve named this pack Sight Words to make it easier to locate in a search engine. You’ll also notice the word cards and lists have a reddish tint to make them stand out if you do call them red words.
4. You do not have to use every page of this pack. There are several choices for practice within each level. You may decide to stick with manuscript practice over cursive. Do what works for your student(s) at their stage of learning.
5. There is a black dot in the corner of the word cards in every level, so you may punch a hole and place them on a ring.
6. In a typical OG lesson there is a time allotted for sight word practice. However, it should be brief within the confines of the
the lesson. Spending too much time on sight word practice within an OG lesson detracts from the main focus of that lesson. Allotting 5 -10 minutes for practice per lesson is recommended.
7. Cut and laminate the word cards for long lasting use or make them tactile by applying a thin layer of glitter glue over each letter.
8. The flap book pages are a great tool if you use a notebook. You just glue along the left vertical tab labeled, “My Level ----- Learned Words Flap Book" and cut along each flap. I’ve always provided a notebook for my OG students, so they have a record of every lesson we’ve done. It’s a great way to keep lessons organized, and to go back and review.
9. IMPORTANT: The lists are labeled for reading and spelling. There are NO sight words to spell in Level 1. The words to practice reading in a particular level will become the words a student will practice spelling in the NEXT level. Do not have students practice spelling and writing words that are only used for reading within a level.
Finally, I realize you have many options for sight word practice out there. I appreciate your taking the time to purchase this product, give it a chance, and provide me with feedback. I do request that you message me first if there is a serious problem or error before you give feedback. Many times an issue can be resolved simply by contacting me, the seller. I respond to any and all concerns and questions promptly.
Questions or special requests before purchasing?
Feel free to send me a question or request via Q/A on TpT or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please leave feedback on your purchases. If you have a concern, please contact me first before rating. Leaving feedback awards you credits towards future purchases.
How To Follow My Store
Just click the green star next to my name. You’ll be the first to hear about new products, freebies and sales!
Thank you so much for choosing my store for your classroom and homeschooling needs!
Emily Gibbons, The Literacy Nest
Find me on Facebook.
Follow me on Pinterest.
Follow my blog.