This essay packet contains everything your students will need for a long-form research and literary analysis essay about Othello. The rubric is written in an IB style to prepare students for future IB classes, but it stands on its own for schools without an IB program. Skills built in this unit include moving beyond the five-paragraph essay, researching and using scholarly articles, literary analysis, introduction and conclusion writing, and integrating sources into writing.
This download contains the following:
• Editable assignment sheet with timeline,
• Research question choices that prompt deep critical thinking,
• Advanced research option,
• Instructions for using a widely available scholarly database,
• Research notetaking worksheet,
• Essay outline,
• Introduction and conclusion in-class modeling and doing activity, and
• Writer's Workshop activity.
As a bonus, I've included notetaking sheets for some lesser known but school-appropriate film adaptations (versions that move the story to a different time and place), so you can grade the essays while the students continue to think critically about the play.