Also included in
- Looking for lessons to incorporate into your classroom schedule that will help your students develop their self-awareness skills? According to casel.org, relationship skills is the ability to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups. The ability$23.63$26.25Save $2.62
- Readers With Character is a collection of Social & Emotional Learning / Character Education Lessons for the general education classroom teacher.PLEASE NOTE: DIGITAL MENU for DISTANCE LEARNING IS BEING ADDED TO EACH UNIT ! Currently, weeks 1-40 have the digital menu. Weeks 41-42 are also coming$120.00$137.75Save $17.75
- Readers With Character is an integrated social skills and character education curriculum for the general education elementary classroom teacher. Each week uses a unique mentor text to help you generalize a specific character or social skill. These lessons work best with students in first through f$60.00$68.00Save $8.00
Readers With Character is a collection of Social & Emotional Learning / Character Education Lessons for the general education classroom teacher.
Digital menu for distance learning included.
HOW ARE THESE LESSONS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER SEL/CHARACTER ED LESSONS?
⇨ Each weekly unit focuses on ONE Social/Emotional/Character 'goal' so your students have time to digest and understand the message.
⇨ Each weekly focus is based upon one mentor text that is read on Monday, giving students a frame of reference and schema about the focus of the week in a kid-friendly and relatable way.
⇨ Each daily lesson is designed to take only 15 minutes of class time, making it manageable for the busy classroom teacher.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE?
This resource is a ONE WEEK unit lasting 5 days/15 minutes per day.
This week's book: Because Amelia Smiled by David Ezra Stein
Focus of the week: Our actions affect other people.
It all starts with one smile from Amelia to Mrs. Higgins - the acts of kindness throughout this book perfectly illustrate that kindness is contagious, and that one small action can make a bigger difference than we think! Our students sometimes may feel that they are “just one person,” but we can show them through this book that we ALL have kindness within us that can make a difference for lots of people. If you are looking to integrate some of your reading standards into this week, this book is a perfect example of cause and effect!
YOUR WEEK USING THIS UNIT WILL GO A LITTLE LIKE THIS...
⇨ Monday: Students will listen to the read aloud (you, if you own the book -OR- find a YouTube reading!). Question and discussion prompts included. Note: Read aloud book/read aloud video not included with purchase.
⇨ Tuesday: Students will engage with you in a classroom meeting where you will remind students of the focus, and begin to generalize the story so it can apply to your focus. Students will draw and/or write their understanding of the focus of the week in their journals.
⇨ Wednesday: Students will view a video clip. Then, another community building classroom meeting will be held to talk about how the video clip relates to the focus of the week.
⇨ Thursday: Students will engage in an activity to reinforce the focus of the week. Download the preview for a look at this week's activity!
⇨ Friday: Students will draw and/or write about their new learning by completing prompts in their journal. Then, students will take their journals home and share the ‘Home Connection’ with their families.
*Detailed lesson plans are provided for each day!
⇨ *NEW* DIGITAL MENU
One-page PDF that includes links to the following:
- Link to video read-aloud of the book
- Link to video of the week
- Google Slides link to weekly journal
- Google Slides link to Home Connection
- Google slides link to digital postcard
- Google Slides link to classroom visuals
WHAT ARE OTHER TEACHERS SAYING ABOUT 'READERS WITH CHARACTER'?
"I don't know where to begin... This has been an invaluable resource for me as I rebuild classroom community mid year. I have purchased most of the books now because I want my kids to be able to have their hands on them regularly and not just while I have them checked out from the library the week we're covering it. My third graders are applying these character lessons and are taking them to heart. My only regret is not purchasing it sooner!" -Cassandra
"This has been so helpful in my class so far this year. My students enjoy the lessons built around the books and has been a great way to enhance our classroom climate. Thank you for such a wonderful product. I am looking forward to using the rest of the lessons as the year goes on!" -Siobahn
"I honestly can't say enough praise about this resource. It has changed the climate of my classroom!!!" -Sarah
Interested in seeing some research behind this curriculum?
WHO IS THIS RESOURCE FOR?
• Classroom teachers looking for a low prep, quick, and effective way to integrate social and emotional learning into their classroom routine.
SAVE AT LEAST 20% WITH BUNDLES!
This resource is included in the following bundle(s):
LOOKING FOR MORE SOCIAL & EMOTIONAL LEARNING / CHARACTER EDUCATION LESSONS?
Cupcakes & Curriculum ⇢ www.cupcakesncurriculum.com
Looking for some humor & positivity in your #teacherlife?
Join the conversation in our Facebook Group!
A LITTLE ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey there! I'm Jennifer, an experienced first, third, and fourth grade general education classroom teacher, I also have experience as a special education teacher's assistant and interventionist. I earned my Bachelors' degree in Family & Child Studies, and my Masters' degree in Elementary Education.
I've been creating resources on Teachers Pay Teachers since 2012 to help teachers like you find your work-life balance - you are so much more than just an awesome teacher!
If you have any questions about this resource, or if you'd simply like to 'talk teacher' with me, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org! ♥