This resource from Graeme Mitchell at SustainEd complements Episode 6, The High Seas, of the new eight-part Netflix series Our Planet. The series is narrated by David Attenborough and was released in April 2019. Our Planet showcases the world's natural wonders, iconic species and wildlife spectacles that still remain. From the depths of the high seas, the hidden corners of our jungles to the far reaches of the polar regions, discover how our planet is all connected. Our Planet is the first un-nature documentary, and its message is this: For the first time, one species living on Earth will choose what the future looks like. And that species is us.
This Product Includes:
- A student movie guide - printer friendly version (3 pages)
- A student movie guide - Google Slides version (3 pages) that can be edited and used with Google Classroom.
- An answer key (3 pages) is included with this movie guide, however many answers will vary as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning.
- Earn Free Money with TPT Credits!
- Leave Feedback for this product and earn TPT credits
- 20 Credits = $1 OFF any TPT purchase
General Tips for Using this Movie Guide:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Turn on English subtitles so viewers can follow along
- Give learners 5-10 minutes to complete the Pre-Viewing Questions and read the guide beforehand so that they can prepare for upcoming content.
- Pause at the times after questions in the guide to encourage students to debate, discuss and talk about their ideas before writing their answers.
- If time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie again for additional analysis.
- On average, this movie guide will require about 45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie.
- Prompt the students to share their answers out loud and use the guide to lead a discussion.
- Before the class is over, I often challenge my students to complete a “What, So What, Now What” Review. I have them briefly describe what the documentary was about (what), explain why the central topic was important (so what), and have them apply it to something they have been learning about in our class (now what).
Digital Version Tips
- It is intended for a paperless classroom and is compatible with Google Drive and Classroom
- When complete, ask students to save the file in a designated Google Drive folder using a naming convention. (I use LastnameFirstnameMovieGuide.pdf)
Get a feel for my work and see if this resource is right for you.
TEDUCATE: David Katz and the Solution to Ocean Pollution
Please check-out some of my other popular resources:
Our Planet (Netflix) - Episode 1 One Planet Movie Guide
Our Planet (Netflix) - Episode 2 Frozen Worlds
Our Planet (Netflix) - Episode 3 Jungles Movie Guide
Our Planet (Netflix) - Episode 4 Coastal Seas
Our Planet (Netflix) - Episode 5 From Deserts to GrasslandsLet's Get Critical - The "What, So What, Now What" Critical Thinking Framework
TEDucate - Greta Thunberg TED Talk Lesson Climate Strikes
TEDucate - Bryan Stevenson TED Talk Lesson Racial Injustice
TEDucate - Rutger Bregman TED Talk Lesson Basic Income
TEDucate - TED Talk Lesson Super Bundle