This packet was designed to enable young children to use personal pronouns and verb tense markers to describe activities that they do with their families.
-- 9 location mats: park, woods, movies, zoo, pool, beach, grocery, garden, and library
-- 49 verb cards
-- 4 girl cards, and 4 boy cards.
A) Use the mats to help the student identify activities that can be done at the different locations. Then have the student select one of the face down verb cards from the table, or from a little bag, basket or box. For past tense, ask what the child did during the summer or on the weekend.. For present tense, ask what the child does at a specific location. For future tense, ask what the child will do at a location.
Use the following prompts for the pronoun “I”.
1. What did yo do when you went to the _____________? (I + past tense)
2. What do you do when you go to the _____________? (I + present tense)
3. What will you do when you go to the _____________? (I + future tense)
4. What are you going to do when you go to the _____________? (I am going to verb.---complimentary infinitive
Use the pictures of the boys and/or girls for the pronouns “she” and “he” with the following prompts.
5. What does name do when s/he goes to the _____________? (S/he + verb+s)
6. What did name do when s/he went to the _____________? (S/he + past tense)
7. What will name do when s/he goes to the _____________? (S/he + will verb)
8. What is name going to do when s/he goes to the ___________? (S/he is going to verb.--complimentary infinitive)
B) The materials can also be used for vocabulary and categorization skills. Students can sort the action words and place on the appropriate location mat. The color coding will facilitate grouping for the younger kids. Use the mats and matching action words to elicit discussion of places that are familiar to children. It will encourage new vocabulary as well as expand narration and sentence structure development.
Out & About
by Kathy Grover
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License