Eight page exam to test student comprehension and analysis of characters, themes, vocabulary, historical background, and plot of Karen Hesse's book Out of the Dust. Questions reflect a range of higher-ordered thinking skills.
Five sections of the exam include:
1) Historical background, novel comprehension, and poetry analysis (multiple choice)
2) Vocabulary (multiple choice)
3) Plot evaluation and synthesis
4) Drawing Conclusions about the effects of the Dust Bowl (short answer)
5) Essay (five essay questions from which students can choose three)
The exam also includes an answer key.